Est. read time: 1 min
Family violence restraining orders prohibit your former partner from coming within a certain number of metres of you at any time or visiting the places you frequent and work. However, you may wish to take extra precautions when in public.
Tips for physical safety
- tell your child or children’s school or daycare who has permission to pick the child/children up. If you have one, give them a copy of the Family Violence Restraining Order
- stay in public areas where there are other people, make sure you are not walking or out alone
- if possible, vary your routine, including:
- the routes you use between home and work
- if you regularly catch a bus, get off a stop earlier or later than usual
- the shopping centres you visit and days you shop
- places you socialise
- have emergency numbers on speed dial (if life is at threat, call 000 immediately)
- if you need to report a breach of a Family Violence Restraining Order, or require police attendance, call 131 444
- if there is an emergency in a public place and you cannot call 000 yourself, ask bystanders to call the police for you
For further information about emergency numbers, see Act Now
- talk to your managers at work and ask them about a workplace safety plan, and provide them with a copy of the Family Violence Restraining Order
- ask your managers if you can have calls and visitors screened through reception (if appropriate)
- park your car in a busy, public and well-lit space
- avoid underground car parks, but if you must use them, ask someone to walk you to your car
- if you’re being followed in the car, don’t stop – drive straight to the nearest Police station
- lock the car doors and roll up the windows in case you need to stop at lights or for traffic
- if you’re approached by your former partner while stopped for any reason, keep the doors and windows closed and sound the horn repeatedly to attract the attention of the public around you
For further information on Family Violence Restraining Orders, see prepare 1G. Family violence restraining orders.
Consider your device safety settings whilst browsing Yourtoolkit.com. Find device safety tips and instructions on how to clean browser history in Prepare 1A.
Alternatively, if you need to exit this website, immediately use the quick exit button. For added precaution, clear your browser history for the last hour and close down all tabs.